Honoring those who made the Ultimate Sacrifice.
It seems like there is always an event going on to honor a particular person or a group of people or something. Nothing unusual especially nowadays. For Edwards AFB, we held the inaugural Ultimate Sacrifice Ruck March. It was the first time I have ever participated in an event like it. I mean, I've done 5-K runs in honor of whatever reason/event, but this one was different.
This event was to honor those from Edwards AFB that have made the ultimate sacrifice, military and civilian alike. Last year, the ruck march had a military theme based on the date that it was being held and a brief history was e-mailed/displayed to educate the base population. This year, it started out the same way. It was my job to research military history on the proposed date of the ruck march. I proposed topics and got feedback, and was told to find something more current. My continued research brought me to an individual by the name of Jason Dunham. It was his story (I recommend researching it, great story!) that led us to the idea of doing the ruck march in honor of those from Edwards AFB who made the ultimate sacrifice. Our hope is that this will be a yearly event for year to come!
Teams were formed to compete in the 6.75 mile course which consisted of a few hills. I thought it was a challenging course, but I think others may have had a harder time with it than me. For me, it was a taste of what my brothers/sisters of the military are doing overseas. Walking around in uniform under the hot sun (despite being in the morning hours) through the desert of Edwards AFB... I'm sure it's nothing to what they are experiencing.
The event was a success! My body is definitely feeling the effects of the course. My legs and feet are tired and sore. But I won't complain. There are those who are out there doing it everyday for months and even years at a time! There are those who have done it and paid the ultimate price for it. Today, with this event, we honor those who have fallen in protecting our freedom. We honor those not just from Edwards AFB, but everyone who paid that price... who made the Ultimate Sacrifice.
This event was to honor those from Edwards AFB that have made the ultimate sacrifice, military and civilian alike. Last year, the ruck march had a military theme based on the date that it was being held and a brief history was e-mailed/displayed to educate the base population. This year, it started out the same way. It was my job to research military history on the proposed date of the ruck march. I proposed topics and got feedback, and was told to find something more current. My continued research brought me to an individual by the name of Jason Dunham. It was his story (I recommend researching it, great story!) that led us to the idea of doing the ruck march in honor of those from Edwards AFB who made the ultimate sacrifice. Our hope is that this will be a yearly event for year to come!
Teams were formed to compete in the 6.75 mile course which consisted of a few hills. I thought it was a challenging course, but I think others may have had a harder time with it than me. For me, it was a taste of what my brothers/sisters of the military are doing overseas. Walking around in uniform under the hot sun (despite being in the morning hours) through the desert of Edwards AFB... I'm sure it's nothing to what they are experiencing.
The event was a success! My body is definitely feeling the effects of the course. My legs and feet are tired and sore. But I won't complain. There are those who are out there doing it everyday for months and even years at a time! There are those who have done it and paid the ultimate price for it. Today, with this event, we honor those who have fallen in protecting our freedom. We honor those not just from Edwards AFB, but everyone who paid that price... who made the Ultimate Sacrifice.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home