Friday, May 06, 2011

Running for my life.

Prior to joining the military, running wasn't exactly one of my top 100 things to do. If I was doing any kind of cardio workout, I would find something other than running! Even coming into the military, I didn't like it. But somehow, over the years, I've come to enjoy running. I have the military to thank for that since running is something I absolutely have to do. Not only do I run because I have to, but I run because I want to and I enjoy it! Now that's something I never thought I'd say... =)

One thing I don't do often is run with someone. If I run on my own time, I'm usually by myself unless I run with my faithful K-9 companion, Hercules. Other than that, the only time I run with other people is when the people at work get together for an organized physical training session. But even then, it's not the same as running with someone leisurely. At the same time, I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to talk a lot during runs because I feel like it uses up more energy and oxygen. I try to focus on my breathing and my form, so talking just gets in the way. When I do talk, I'm usually huffing and puffing my words out.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever gone out for a run and really enjoyed my surroundings. Sure I see what's around me when I run and I may think something like, "Wow it's really nice weather today!" or maybe "Look at that sunrise!" Maybe I never really went on a leisure run? Maybe my runs are centered around other reasons to run? Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing things?

In the end, I do like to go out for runs. I miss being able to go running on the beach. If I ever move to a place where a beach is nearby, you better believe I'm going to try and go running out there on a regular basis!

Funny, sometimes I find myself thinking "I miss running." Who would've thunk it.... Despite having a couple of 5K's and 5-milers under my belt, I want to train for something further. I'm thinking about doing a half-marathon. Obviously training would be pretty demanding and finding time for it could be a challenge. Maybe it's time to invest in a baby jogger so I can take the little boy with me on some runs in the late afternoons or early evenings. Yah that'd be nice! Maybe the Disney Half-marathon will be my first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home